Friday, 12 June 2015
- Mussel meat (the shellfish) is rich in protein, has much less fat, many more mineral nutrients and a quarter of the calories as beef.
- The Macaw is a tropical bird that is a native to Central and Southern America. Some species of macaw are even known to be able to mimic (copy) human sounds.
Thursday, 4 June 2015
- A liger is a mix between a tiger and a lion. They are the world's biggest cat.
- Lacrosse is a contact sport played between two teams using a small rubber ball (62.8-64.77 mm, 140-147 g) and a long-handled stick called a crosse or lacrosse stick.
- The biggest threat to the Leopards is hunting and deforestation.
- Leonardo da Vinci wasn't just an incredible artist, he was an inventor, scientist, mathematician, engineer, writer, musician and much more.
- Lamborghini was started in 1963 by an Italian by the name of Ferruccio Lamborghini who wanted to compete with the established brands like Ferrari. Lamborghini grew quickly during its first ten years, but sales dropped after the financial downturn and the oil crisis in 1973.
- A lion weighs 120kg - 249kg and the size of a lion is 1.4m - 2.5m. Lions can live 8 - 15 years.
- Yvette Williams is a nz long jump champion. She won the 1952 Helsinki long jump event in the Olympics, where she got a Olympic record of 6.24m and was only one centimeter from the world record at that time.
- Next time you have a sore throat, reach for a lemon! Add the juice of one lemon to an equal amount of hot water for an anti-bacterial gargle.
Thursday, 28 May 2015
- Kangaroos can run at a top speed of 55km per hour.
- Kingfishers are small and have a lot of predators like foxes, raccoons, cats and snakes.
- Kia is the name of a car made in South Korea. Its name comes from the Korean words 'Ki' (to come out) and 'a' (which stands for Asia).
- The komodo dragon's saliva is poisonous, they can kill people and eat food in large chunks.
Thursday, 21 May 2015
- The Javan rhinocerous has a top speed of 42km per hour and it's lifespan is 30-45 years.
- Javanese cats are referred to show cats showing odd or rare colours such as red or white.
- According to scientists, Jaguars have probably eaten around 80 species in their lifetime.
- Jaguar Cars is a brand of Jaguar Land Rover, a British multinational car manufacturer in Whitley, Coventry, England, owned by the Indian company Tata Motors since 2008.
- Jetpack Joyride is an endless side-scrolling runner/action game created by Halfbrick Studios.
- The box jellyfish, found in the ocean around Australia, had a powerful enough to fatal to humans.
- The knobbly Jerusalem artichoke is related to the pretty sunflower.
- John F. Kennedy (the American president who was assassinated). He donated his congressional and presidential salaries to charity. Kennedy’s father built a family fortune, and when the young politician entered Congress in 1947, he earned sufficiently ample annual income from trusts established by his father that he decided to donate his entire legislative salary to various charities.
Friday, 15 May 2015
Watch this video from Mrs Yollis' class to learn some great tips to writing a quality blog post comment. There tips are:
- Compliment the writer in a specific way.
- Add new information.
- Make a connection.
- End with a question.
- Proofread your comment.
Can you think of any other good tips for writing comments?
Wednesday, 13 May 2015
- Ice skating starting around 3000 years ago and the original skates were flattened sharpened bones.
- In indoor cricket there are only six players on the field at any one time.
- Iceberg lettuce is the name of the common lettuces found in the supermarket.
- During the 2012-13 football season, Iker Casillas won the IFFHS Best Goalkeeper Award for the fifth consecutive time, making him the only goalkeeper in history to have ever won that award five times in a row.
- Isaac Newton is a famous scientist who came up with gravitational laws. People say that he discovered this when an apple fell on his head, but actually, he just watched one fall from a tree outside his window.
- Kid Icarus is a gaming character based off Greek mythology, where Icarus flies too close to the sun and his homemade wings melt and he falls to his death.
- The indochinese tiger is endangered because of deforestation and poachers. The wild population is estimated between 1200 to 1800.
- Impala is the name of both an antelope and car.