- Kangaroos can run at a top speed of 55km per hour.
- Kingfishers are small and have a lot of predators like foxes, raccoons, cats and snakes.
- Kia is the name of a car made in South Korea. Its name comes from the Korean words 'Ki' (to come out) and 'a' (which stands for Asia).
- The komodo dragon's saliva is poisonous, they can kill people and eat food in large chunks.
Thursday, 28 May 2015
Thursday, 21 May 2015
- The Javan rhinocerous has a top speed of 42km per hour and it's lifespan is 30-45 years.
- Javanese cats are referred to show cats showing odd or rare colours such as red or white.
- According to scientists, Jaguars have probably eaten around 80 species in their lifetime.
- Jaguar Cars is a brand of Jaguar Land Rover, a British multinational car manufacturer in Whitley, Coventry, England, owned by the Indian company Tata Motors since 2008.
- Jetpack Joyride is an endless side-scrolling runner/action game created by Halfbrick Studios.
- The box jellyfish, found in the ocean around Australia, had a powerful enough to fatal to humans.
- The knobbly Jerusalem artichoke is related to the pretty sunflower.
- John F. Kennedy (the American president who was assassinated). He donated his congressional and presidential salaries to charity. Kennedy’s father built a family fortune, and when the young politician entered Congress in 1947, he earned sufficiently ample annual income from trusts established by his father that he decided to donate his entire legislative salary to various charities.
Friday, 15 May 2015
Watch this video from Mrs Yollis' class to learn some great tips to writing a quality blog post comment. There tips are:
- Compliment the writer in a specific way.
- Add new information.
- Make a connection.
- End with a question.
- Proofread your comment.
Can you think of any other good tips for writing comments?
Wednesday, 13 May 2015
- Ice skating starting around 3000 years ago and the original skates were flattened sharpened bones.
- In indoor cricket there are only six players on the field at any one time.
- Iceberg lettuce is the name of the common lettuces found in the supermarket.
- During the 2012-13 football season, Iker Casillas won the IFFHS Best Goalkeeper Award for the fifth consecutive time, making him the only goalkeeper in history to have ever won that award five times in a row.
- Isaac Newton is a famous scientist who came up with gravitational laws. People say that he discovered this when an apple fell on his head, but actually, he just watched one fall from a tree outside his window.
- Kid Icarus is a gaming character based off Greek mythology, where Icarus flies too close to the sun and his homemade wings melt and he falls to his death.
- The indochinese tiger is endangered because of deforestation and poachers. The wild population is estimated between 1200 to 1800.
- Impala is the name of both an antelope and car.
Thursday, 7 May 2015
- Hedgehogs have about 5000 spikes.
- One of the Aztec gods was depicted as a hummingbird.
- The high jump record for men is 2.45m and women 2.09m.
- The Hector's dolphin is an endangered NZ species and there are only 5000-8000 left.
- Hippopotamuses were once found across Europe and Asia, but are now only found in Africa.